Friday, February 22, 2019

Slowed My Roll!

I Just Said No

I decided I needed to wait on the media blasting of the frame. I am going to do the custom work first, then take it for media blasting. I did manage to get all the body panels stripped and ready for media blasting. I also got my first of many patch panels.

I guess original color was white. Bleh!

Gas tank floor pan patch panel.

Semi-shiny intake manifold. I had it coated in hi temp "Durashine" exhaust coating to match the header. The Throttle body got the same treatment, but isn't ready to come home quite yet.

Friday, December 28, 2018

Weeee're OFF to See the Media Blaster!

I love Stripping!

I managed to get the frame completely stripped and loaded all alone. Thank God for winches! Next stop: media blaster!

Got a call from Valley Hybrid with some bad news. My transmission and transfer case are toast. Someone swamped them and left the water inside, so the gears a rusted out. I'm brainstorming on a backup plan for those. The fun never stops!

Thursday, December 27, 2018

Seat Swap!

My Butt's Too Big...

Yeah... I had to swap out the awesome Corbeau Baja RS suspension seats for a set of their awesome Sport Seats. The thigh bolsters were a little too aggressive and my big butt wasn't too comfortable. The good news is that that Sport Seat was cheaper so I was able to add seat heaters and the anti-submarine slot for future full harness upgrade. I think I'll get these same seats for my Beater Bronco someday.

Sunday, December 23, 2018


Chassis Stripped

The chassis is as stripped as it is going to get. I'll try to get it off to the media blaster this week if I can find a shop that is open.

Saturday, December 15, 2018

Cuttin n' Grindin

Metal Fab: GO!

I started in on the chassis today. First I had to get the crappy shop tires of the nicer wheels and onto the crappy shop wheels. I dropped the nicer wheels off at my powder coater for some restyling and the shop wheels are back on the axles.

I know what you're thinking... THOSE are the nicer wheels? While these are technically Eagle Alloys  102 Series from 2004, they are identical to Raceline Wheel's 887 Rockcrusher wheels from an earlier era... My teenage years. Nostalgia smells nice! Anyway... I dropped them off at my powder coater and you won't recognize them when next I post about them. These are the shop wheels...

They are old Pro Comp wheels that have certainly seen some use. I will most likely have them refinished as well at some point down the road and maybe have some mud terrains studded for dedicated Snow Wheeling. In the meantime the Rockcrushers will be used for daily and trail use once the build is complete and I have mounted my KM2s I won from BF Goodrich.

I got the shock towers and OEM steering gear box mount off the frame as well as the brake hardlines and fuel lines. The exhaust is almost off. I need to pull the bump stops, rear taillights and some of the steering off the front before I pull it onto the trailer and drop it off at my media blaster. I won't be powder coating the frame. I'll either use POR15 and their topcoat where the sun will shine, or Eastwood's Chassis Black Extreme. I'll definitely be using Eastwoods Internal Chassis system to protect the boxed sections of the frame from corrosion.

Eastwood Chassis Black Extreme

Eastwood Internal Frame Coating

POR 15 Chassis Paint

Here's the frame minus the shock towers and steering tower.

These are the new HD 2" longer shock towers from 4Plus. BIG difference from stock!

I'll finish up the chassis and have it delivered for media blasting the first week of Jan (I hope), then I can start bolding everything up!

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

I Got Dizzy!

My Distributor Came in Today!

That's right my dizzy is here and quite pretty in all its computer controlled goodness.

My amazing engine dude decided to mock up the engine to ensure piston clearance before doing the final assembly This is a lot of work but well worth it to ensure everything clears. This was necessary because Man-a-Fre and by extension Ross Racing Pistons were both all but useless when confirming specs. Instead of 17K in the hole, we were sitting at 21K out of the whole. Not good! Here's hoping no additional machining will be necessary to make it all work.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018


Dakota Digital Gauges

I have been very excited to get these. Interior is second only to powertrain in my book. The way I see it, I will see the interior of my vehicle more than the exterior. So fit and finish, comfort and function are critical to me. Gauges and controls are at the heart of the driver experience so I am excited to get these connected to my engine computer and fully installed.

Next Up: Stripping the chassis in prep for media blasting. I hope to salvage all the brake hardlines, but everything else has got to go! I am also getting the body color (T1276 Sundune White) mixed up for the matching engine paint. Engine should be home before Christmas!

Slowed My Roll!

I Just Said No I decided I needed to wait on the media blasting of the frame. I am going to do the custom work first, then take it for me...